So, you have been dreading the task of tackling your closet for a while now? And although you've managed to come up with every excuse under the sun it's time to get it done you know you will have to do it at some point. I understand....really I do.
I know the task can seem a little overwhelming and the last thing you want to do is half ass it. So I wanted to drop a few tips that would create a serious effect in your closet, regardless of its size. The first thing you need to do is get rid to everything that is too small or too large to get tailored; extremely worn pieces or those damaged and anything, including accessories that scream cheap or cheesy.
1. Donate, trash or sell them and possibly even make a few coins for items you may need to add to your wardrobe. This helps give you a better understanding of what you have to work with and what your wardrobe may be lacking, not to mention it creates a little wiggle room for you to work with.
2. Now group your likes with likes, pants with pants, dresses with dresses, etc. Then organize each by 1.group (shirt) 2.by color (white) and 3. sleeve length (short sleeve). Now before you let your mind convince you that that's too much work, consider the good glory of going to your closet and within 2 seconds know exactly how many white short sleeve shirts you have...oh and because you got rid of everything that didn't fit, you don't have to waste time trying it on.
3. Maximize your current closet by implementing storage hooks, racks, shelving, drawer organizers, hangers and anything else that will accommodate your specific needs. Remember, keep it creative, think outside the box, and always make sure your selections are beyond glam!
4. Consider adding special touches, such as a full-length mirror, bright lighting, and chic decor. I absolute fav and must have in my closet is my receipt box. It saves mad money, time and sanity from impulse buys, damaged purchases, and pieces that simply don't fit.
5. Organizing your space is just the beginning and actually the easy part. Make it a weekly habit of updating your space. Send dirty pieces to the cleaners, rehang your try on's, touch up your used accessories, organize your shoes, dust and even vacuum. The better you feel in your space overall, the more confident you will become with your wardrobe selections.
There you have it, 5 quick, easy, and effective tips to snap that closet into order! Need more? It's all in The Style Code.